Monday, December 6, 2010

12.6.2010
Two weeks ago I wrote Kopol’s first blog entry, that was a very emotional time.  Just three days before (11/19) we were sitting in a dark room looking at a computer screen that held the image of Kopol’s X-rayed abdomen.  Something in that picture troubled me and Dr. Jacquie hadn’t come in yet to tell us what she saw on those images.  What I saw was an oddly shaped thing, angular like a lung and huge.  I guessed the X-ray had picked something up that wasn’t part of Kopol’s body.  Maybe something he was laying on?  It could have been a lung but that organ isn’t located behind a dog’s ribcage and up close to the spine.  Something was very bad, had to be with the way they brought us into this room and said “Dr. Jacquie wants to talk to you.”

Dr. Jacquie was pretty somber and pointed out what troubled her on the images.  She then pointed at the mystery part and said it as his bladder, full to capacity and causing Kopol to leak urine.  As we talked I was thinking that it might be best to euthanize Kopol while he was already very sedated.  I just couldn’t imagine having my bladder ready to bust and I knew he wasn’t going to be able to drain it.  I got some relief, as did Kopol, when they ran a catheter up his penis and drained his bladder.  The doctor showed us how we could help him urinate but I really thought his bladder would be full by the end of the weekend and we would have some serious decisions to make.  Much to my surprise, by the end of the weekend I was able to help Kopol create a steady stream of urine that flowed for several seconds.  Each time he and I worked at this we got better and today we are experts.

Speaking of “today,” Kopol Otis and I took a ride down to Alta Vista Veterinary Hospital to put Kopol on the scale.  Good news, at 69.4 pounds he’s gained three pounds in the last week.  That’s not all the good news, as you know, last week we started him on high protein low to no carbohydrate diet and within 24 hours he was pumping out feces like a factory.  He hasn’t had a decent bowel movement in months and now he’s making up for all those missed stools.  He still works to get that bowel movement and the results are soft but that’s huge progress.  Sorry no pictures of his stool J

Ok, today is Monday, December 06, 2010 and if my calculations are correct Kopol’s original mother, Mahsa will be her in about 14 days.  Moving back to Arizona from Dubai, that’ll be one hell of a nice Christmas present for Kopol and judging by the image below he senses what’s coming, and sticking close to the Christmas tree where he believes his “package” of love will be delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment