Sunday, November 28, 2010

Miss You Big Head

Saturday 11/27/2010

Tough night for Kopol and me, maybe just me.  Seems like I couldn't get a wink of sleep and finally moved into the other bedroom to sleep.  Kopol has moved back into our bedroom to sleep next to me, on the floor at night.  He had been sacking out in the front room, maybe so he could have a quick, clear shot for the back door when the urge to eliminate hit him.  Before I put in the doggie door I was letting him out up to four times during the night.  Now with the doggie door he can come and go as he pleases and I'm sleeping a little better.  If the night brings many trips outside for my pal then I start to worry about him.  Last night was one of those nights and by his third trip out I went out with him to help him urinate.  He doesn't seem to mind this help and I suspect even enjoys the attention.  He'll get into his squat and then look over his shoulder when I approach.  His tail is up, wagging and I swear he is smiling.  A gentle pressure applied to his bladder and the urine flows.  Not a heavy stream but steady trickle.  Anytime during the day that I see him in the squat I go assist.

So, Saturday morning the family got up early, as usual so that we could go run in the PMP (Phoenix Mountain Preserve).  Kopol didn't look so good, tired, lethargic and once he ate he crashed on one of his beds.  He followed our movement with his eyes, not lifting his head from the ground.  That's what I remember about Casper, our last yellow Lab.  When he was close to death he laid on the floor and watched our every move, too tired to move.  I could tell Rachel was worried about Kopol and this just added to my somber, sleep deprived mood.  On top of all this worry was the fact that Kopol's bed revealed he had lost his urine, twice during the night.

No dogs were running today so Rachel and I left, each to a different part of the PMP to run solo.  I'll spare you all the details of my run but one fact that must be noted is how alone I felt.  I love running along, and I can say that because I really am never alone.  Many times one or more running partners join me and for the last few years when the weather is cool Kopol always ran with me.  It didn't matter the duration or terrain the Kope Man was on my heels.  Today though he wasn't.  He should have been but the new reality is I will be missing my best running partner in all (?) :( my future runs.

I miss you Big Head, Love you.

I returned home to a happy tail wagging Kopol.  The rest of the day he seemed happy, comfortable and pain free.

No comments:

Post a Comment